general counsel and GM regulatory
As general counsel and GM regulatory at Vocus New Zealand, Emily Acland provides overall legal support for a company of more than 600 employees across 23 different legal entities and seven trading brands, as well as advises on M&A deals and all other corporate transactions.
Some key highlights for Acland in the past 12 months include:
- leading Vocus’ regulatory approach during COVID-19, including working with wider telco and energy industry members to engage with government on an appropriate response to assist consumers and businesses
- managing all legal aspects of the acquisition of Stuff Fibre, amid significant complexity due to COVID-19 affecting the M&A market and general appetite for risk
- providing agile advice and support to address Vocus’ COVID-19 related risk across the wider business and in relation to both customers and suppliers, including Vocus becoming the first telco to deliver broadband to unconnected students during lockdown
- managing the legal requirements for a group wide-RFP process for a new Vocus MVNO in Q4 2019
- leading Vocus’ engagement with multiple regulators, including the Commerce Commission, where Acland’s involvement led to a significantly reduced penalty in a February 2020 prosecution
Acland was part of the 2019 NZ Lawyer’s In-house Leader list and was selected as a Rising Star in NZ Lawyers inaugural 2020 list. She was also nominated as a finalist in the New Zealand Reseller Awards, which will be held in November.