HR and legal director
Alex Nicholson leads both the legal and human resources function within MediaWorks with a depth of expertise and impressive skills across a broad set of responsibilities, to help the multi-platform media company operate in a fiercely competitive and rapidly changing sector.
This high-energy, dedicated, and astute lawyer has played a pivotal role in implementing a number of significant projects over the past 12 months, including:
- MediaWorks’ merger with ASX-listed QMS Media's New Zealand out-of-home, digital media and production business
- implementing the MediaWorks group financing arrangements
- leading MediaWorks’ publicly announced project to sell its television business and managing the resulting separation of the TV business from the remaining MediaWorks business units
- completing the sale and lease back of the MediaWorks TV headquarters and studios
- major restructure of the MediaWorks business to address COVID-19’s impact on advertising, including a significant reduction in the number of employees, and the introduction of wage reductions and other cost savings
- leading the liaison with central government in relation to the support available to independent news media organisations in New Zealand; and
- managing a number of legal disputes, including relation to defamation matters.