Ashurst promotes 10 in Australia to partner

New dispute mechanism needed post-Brexit says Law Society... Singapore duo join international firm’'s partnership...

Ashurst promotes 10 in Australia to partner

The latest round of promotions at Ashurst has proven a good one for Australian lawyers.

Ten of the 24 new partners are in Australia while a further 3 are from elsewhere in Asia Pacific making a 54% share for the region. The other 46% are from Europe.

The new Australian partners are:
* Emma Butler, Digital Economy, Melbourne
* Camilla Clemente, Restructuring and Special Situations, Sydney
* Stuart D'Aloisio, IP/Media, Melbourne
* Karen Dwyer, Digital Economy, Sydney
* Justin Jones, Competition, Melbourne
* Krista Payne, Projects, Sydney
* Catherine Pedler, Dispute Resolution, Perth
* Caroline Smart, Global Markets, Sydney (not yet admitted in Australia, expected June 2018)
* Kathy Srdanovic, Employment, Sydney
* Sanjay Wavde, Tax, Sydney
"We have had another year of strong profitable growth and this has enabled us to make a significant number of promotions across our offices and practices,” commented managing partner Paul Jenkins. “I am also very pleased that we have exceeded our gender target for new partner promotions this year, which reflects the firm's focus on identifying, supporting and developing the pipeline of female leaders.”
New dispute mechanism needed post-Brexit says Law Society
With the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union edging ever-closer, the Law Society in England & Wales says there needs to be a new disputes mechanism.

“At the moment disputes are handled by the European Court of Justice (CJEU) and, as an EU member, we’ve had judges sitting in that court and UK lawyers representing clients,” said Law Society president Joe Egan.

But although the CJEU will remain in jurisdiction during any transition period, the Society says it should not have direct jurisdiction over UK-EU disputes because the UK will no longer have full participation in the court.

Instead, it says there should be a UK-based mechanism to handle disputes, perhaps based on the European Free Trade Area (EFTA) Court.

“The mechanism needs to apply right across the final deal. It should continue to grant access to individuals to enforce their rights and be there for business as well,” said Joe Egan.

The CJEU will no longer have supremacy over UK law when the country leaves the EU.

Singapore duo join international firm’s partnership
Two Singapore-based lawyers have joined the partnership of Simmons & Simmons, which has announced nine new partners.

Disputes lawyer Amanda Lees and financial markets lawyer Jonathan Quie both make partner in the largely-UK-based round of promotions.


Free newsletter

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter service and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest breaking news, cutting edge opinion, and expert analysis affecting both your business and the industry as whole.

Please enter your email address below and click on Sign Up for daily newsletters from Australasian Lawyer.

Recent articles & video

COVID-19 and Australian courts and legal bodies updates: 1 June

KWM helps industrial chemicals manufacturer cook up $600m in capital raising under COVID-19

New Hong Kong security law an “unconscionable” threat to judicial independence, says IBA

HSF pumps up global financial services regulatory team with new partner

DLA Piper supports nickel pig iron producer on $231m equity raising effort

US Supreme Court rejects government request that keeps inmates at high risk for COVID-19

Most Read Articles

KWM's chief executive partner for Australia extends run into second term

Clayton Utz senior associate applauds greater focus on diversity and inclusion

Clayton Utz guides aerial imagery company to picture-perfect sale

HSF pumps up global financial services regulatory team with new partner