Bird & Bird responds to the rapidly evolving work and legal environment by reviewing and adapting its current working arrangements and policies, designing and moving to a new office, and investing in more technology to support its growth.
Innovations introduced, revised, or established by the firm include:
- flexible working arrangements, including a family-friendly flexible working policy;
- training on mental health, meditation, and stress management, an employee assistance program with regular presentations on topical issues such as R U OK? Day, World Mental Health Week, and Suicide Prevention, and other optional health, wellness, and creative activities such as yoga classes, sports teams, and Sydney Lawyers Orchestra rehearsals;
- parental leave policy, with 16 weeks paid leave for primary carers, both for males and females, and two weeks paid secondary carers' leave;
- parental leave coaching for team members welcoming a new baby/child to their family, plus coaching for partners and managers to support family-friendly approaches to the workplace.
- partnership with volunteering platform Vollie to supplement the firm’s legal pro bono work;
- new office environment, featuring an open plan of two contiguous, linked floors;
- weekly morning tea, now in videoconference format, where all personnel can share announcements and news while on break; and
- work-from-home technology and training using web conferencing, communication tools, and emails during the coronavirus (COVID 19) pandemic.