Ben Klug is a respected legal advisor at Scape Australia, who at age 32, also capably handles his tasks as director of people for the fast-growing company.
Klug’s key achievements over the past 12 months include:
- overseeing two transformative transactions that made Scape the largest branded accommodation provider in the country and the largest PBSA owner/operator
- leading the legal component of the successful $2-billion acquisition of the Urbanest portfolio of operating PBSA assets – the largest real estate transaction in Australia in 2019
- leading the legal function in the successful A$680-million acquisition of the Atira portfolio of operating PBSA assets
- taking a lead role in the integration of the Atira and Urbanest businesses with Scape
- advising the business on the $125-million acquisition of the Aurora Tower serviced apartments in Melbourne CBD; on multiple closings of Scape’s Australian PBSA Fund; and on a further close of its second JV Fund
- playing a crucial role in the business’ response to COVID-19.
With Klug as part of the team, the student accommodation provider has recently experienced enormous growth – from 13 assets to 41 assets; from 6,800 beds (both operating and under development) to 21,400 beds; from A$2 billion of assets under management to more than $7 billion AUM; and from 90 staff to almost 400 staff.