The event looks at the impact of digitalisation on in-house legal teams
The role of in-house lawyers within an organisation has been increasingly redefined as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. A number of GCs believe that they have been transitioning to “trusted adviser” roles in the past year as companies learn to utilise their in-house legal departments as more than just legal problem solvers.
Moreover, the pandemic has driven the acceleration of tech adoption in order to maintain smooth operations at a time when remote work became necessary. In a study conducted by LOD last year, Australia managing director Paul Cowling said that in-house legal departments have very likely been pushed to implement initiatives that would previously have taken years to execute.
At the 2021 In-house Legal Summit, some of the top in-house lawyers in the country will delve further into how the “new” environment, along with increased digitalisation, is driving legal department efficiency today. The panel will address questions such as:
- How can legal departments embrace technology and other innovations to better manage workloads?
- What questions do you need to ask before starting your digitalisation journey?
- How can technology help reduce dependency on external counsel?
- What are some of the best tools for in-house departments to adopt?
The event will also look into how in-house counsel can effectively serve as business risk managers for their organisations, balancing adaptability with risk management. Experts from Dell, Boehringer and American Express will discuss the following:
- How can in-house counsel maintain the trust and confidence of the organisation while ensuring the organisation maintains the appropriate risk boundaries?
- How do in-house counsel ensure their voices are heard and that they are included in early conversations to mitigate risk?
- How can in-house counsel best educate themselves on distinct types of risk?
- How can differences in risk tolerance within an organisation affect judgment?
The 2021 In-house Legal Summit, a full-day virtual event themed “In-House Counsel as Trusted Business Advisor,” will explore all these topics and more. The complete agenda can be found here.
The event takes place on 23 February from 8:45am to 4pm. Interested attendees may register here.
A full list of event speakers may be found here.