General Counsel (Technology, Media & Telecommunications)
Dan retired from partnership after more than 20 years in the field, many of them spent leading Holding Redlich's technology, media and intellectual property practice. He is now a General Counsel in the firm's Technology, Media & Telecommunications practice group.
Dan has a wealth of experience advising on all aspects of information technology, intellectual property, media and related corporate and regulatory issues, including competition and consumer law, privacy and data governance, broadcasting, defamation and other legislative compliance. He assists clients in the technology, media, and telecommunications sectors with their transactions, contractual negotiations, operational matters and response to regulator enquiries. In particular, this work includes:
• assisting technology suppliers and their customers with all of their contracting arrangements and regulatory matters (particularly privacy-related issues, including responding to data breaches)
• advising owners and users of intellectual property on its protection and exploitation from licensing and commercialisation agreements, to management and enforcement of trade mark portfolios
• acting for producers, financiers and distributors of film, television programs and other content, from the earliest development stage to spin-offs and remakes of global success stories
• assisting advertising agencies and corporates with the contracting for, and clearance of, advertising and communications campaigns.
Dan also acts for clients undertaking procurements, branding exercises and other uses of intellectual property and information technology in other sectors. He can also advise on:
• the structuring of start-ups, their funding rounds (from seed funding through to liquidity events) and intellectual property protection and development
• brand development and protection, including copyright, trade marks, domain names and consumer law issues
• the protection and exploitation of computer software and hardware and the provision of information technology services (including government contracts and outsourcing), and
• regulatory compliance, including corporations law, copyright, privacy and competition law.
Dan's expertise is highly recognised by his clients and peers. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia as a leading practitioner for Information Technology Law, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Law since 2014, and in Doyle's Guide as a recommended Technology, Media & Telecommunications lawyer in Victoria.